Wednesday, March 03, 2004

What's In a Name

I was talking with my co-workers about names this morning. One lady has given great names to her kids based on political/literary/public figures. Another co-worker named her daughter after the Ashley river in Charleston, a favorite vacation spot, not knowing how popular that name was becoming for girls. My own name goes with my brother's; he is Jonathan and I am David, and we are named for the great friends talked about in the Bible. I have my dad's middle name as my middle name: Fessenden. And my brother has my mother's maiden name as his middle name: Burns. I think that's pretty cool.

We sort of came up with a couple of rules about what not to name your kids. This was the list (please don't be offended if your name falls on this list of do-nots. We were just drawing some general observations):

Don't name your child after the place where he/she was conceived (London, Paris, Austin, Rogersville)
Don't name your child after how you think his/her birth came about (Miracle, Destiny, etc.)
Inventing a name is probably not a good idea (that is unless you think your kid is going to break the
mold)


Alright, that's it. Pretty simple rules.

Well, that's my buildup: I am going to a comedy show this Friday night, and I expect to hear jokes of this sort. Hopefully funnier. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home