Biking
Biking has become my favorite evening pastime. I "discovered" the Third Creek Greenway trail this week and have ridden it a couple of times down to Neyland Drive. The weather has been glorious, so it's been an incredible experience. I start out at my apartment between Lonas and Papermill, cruising over to Hollywood, where I began the dangerous descent to Sutherland. Rolling down the narrow sidewalks, avoiding maiboxes and traffic, crossing intersections, getting down busy roads. Finally, I get down to the trail itself and start really moving. After speeding through the uninspiring open area behind the Sutherland & Golf Range Apts., I get into the woods. You're still very aware that you are around civilization: lots of people walking (close to home), an intersection on Tobler. Eventually though you get into the good stretches where you can really cruise, up and down hills and around bends.
After getting through Tyson Park, you take a nice riverside ride. The smell is not all that pleasant and there is bumpy pavement and the continual threat of someone coming around the curve and blindsiding you . . but seeing the still water in your periphery is very satisfying to the soul. It's the perfect speed to see the landscape. You are moving fast enough to see the change in landscape and surroundings, but not enough to make it a blurry vision.
On this particular night, I was able to really get crusing smoothly without obstructions on the route back. For about 4 miles, I almost saw no one. The pedal rhythm felt perfect. I was fully into my second wind. It was breathtaking.
Eventually you get back to ugly civilization, but for a while there, it feels like you have been transported to another place. Biking is truly a sublime way to travel.
Biking has become my favorite evening pastime. I "discovered" the Third Creek Greenway trail this week and have ridden it a couple of times down to Neyland Drive. The weather has been glorious, so it's been an incredible experience. I start out at my apartment between Lonas and Papermill, cruising over to Hollywood, where I began the dangerous descent to Sutherland. Rolling down the narrow sidewalks, avoiding maiboxes and traffic, crossing intersections, getting down busy roads. Finally, I get down to the trail itself and start really moving. After speeding through the uninspiring open area behind the Sutherland & Golf Range Apts., I get into the woods. You're still very aware that you are around civilization: lots of people walking (close to home), an intersection on Tobler. Eventually though you get into the good stretches where you can really cruise, up and down hills and around bends.
After getting through Tyson Park, you take a nice riverside ride. The smell is not all that pleasant and there is bumpy pavement and the continual threat of someone coming around the curve and blindsiding you . . but seeing the still water in your periphery is very satisfying to the soul. It's the perfect speed to see the landscape. You are moving fast enough to see the change in landscape and surroundings, but not enough to make it a blurry vision.
On this particular night, I was able to really get crusing smoothly without obstructions on the route back. For about 4 miles, I almost saw no one. The pedal rhythm felt perfect. I was fully into my second wind. It was breathtaking.
Eventually you get back to ugly civilization, but for a while there, it feels like you have been transported to another place. Biking is truly a sublime way to travel.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home