Thursday, December 09, 2004

Condemnation, Conviction, Acceptance & Love

Woh, 9 days! I've been absent from the keyboard, not because I haven't been thinking of stuff but just catching my breath before I get back out with the public thoughts.


I've been learning about the difference between condemnation and conviction. When I had become aware in my conscience of sin, I had been thinking negative thoughts about myself, feeling bad about it. Then I would try to make things right between myself and God by doing good. Works. I learned that God's reproof, His bringing it to our attention, means "Change from this way that is not good so that our fellowship can be enjoyed to the full." It's the difference between being led and being forced. God wants to lead us in the right paths so that His plan can come to pass. And that plan is always to lead us into good things. And there is peace in doing that for us.

As I reflected back on it theologically, I realized that I was thinking I had to reconcile myself. "Get up on that tree and pay for sin!" But the wrong has been taken care of. It is not about wrongdoing and blame and payment. He has done the great work of reconciliation. Now He's interested in our blessedness. Man there is real peace in knowing that! I realized that what I needed to do was accept the correction and believe. And now I can say, "Lord, do show me my sin because I want to change and walk in your plan."


Something else I have been pondering is the wonderful value of acceptance. I realize that acceptance releases confidence. When you know you are accepted, you are free to do the right stuff and free not to do all the stupid stuff. When we don't feel accepted, we will go to any length to try to be. We will ignore any need, hate any threatening person, do the most outlandish behavior in an attempt to get that need met. As Neil Anderson wrote, this need is "met so wonderfully in Christ."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home