Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Hussein on trial

Iraqi authorities took Saddam Hussein into legal custody today and scheduled a hearing for him and 11 of his top men. I think that's pretty amazing. I remember on the day he was captured thinking how great it would be if he were given over to the Iraqis by the Americans so that he could face justice. And it happened! I'm really surprised that it did. I thought that the U.S. might try to hold onto him and say that he was guilty of crimes against us. I was glad to see us make the transfer. I'm sure it will be a complicated ordeal to try and convict him and that it will test the Iraqi people. However, one has to feel that the process of justice has begun well.

It's good to say goodbye to this month and move into July. My leisurely summer seems to be about over, with the rest of the summer to have more things to do and more travel. That will be welcome, particularly with the chance to visit some of my friends from Memphis and to get some vacation time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home