Thursday, May 19, 2005

Founding Fathers

I have read some articles about the founding fathers of the U.S. and have been thinking about their character and their actions. It would seem to be a question, "Did they do the right thing?" I wondered about their actions, if they were righteous. I have been asking these questions because I desire to understand how to make my own choices. Sometimes your heart just desires to do something, and your mind holds onto loftier ideals of what should happen. Which do you opt for? My surmise in reading is that the folks were moved by very ordinary concerns and personal desires, that they carried them out in very natural and personal ways, that is to say that the actions were prompted by individual desires. And aren't we all? My aching seems to be, "Aren't we called to more? Isn't there a righteousness above that which we find in our hearts to do, at times?" My mind often holds onto ideals, while the heart hungers for more immediate satisfaction. The heart is always stronger. I believe the answer is to be instructed and transformed in the heart. Getting an ideal in your head is not enough. So you can fancy yourself a noble chap but if nobility is not from the heart, then it is not going to come out in noble actions. Conclusion: I know my heart is mostly a 2-year old child. It needs to find its Father, who alone can lead it into the true maturity and freedom it was intended to know. God wants to make a noble heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home