Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Lessons

My weekend was much more relaxed than the previous weekend. "Keeping my feet on the ground . . ." On Saturday night, I got together with a group of old friends, and we played Balderdash. It was a blast. We had a very creative group, and to recap the game, "You get a word or initials (acronym) or a person or a movie or a date and then write down a silly definition. The responses are read anonymously, and people guess at what they think is the right answer . . .", so the better the creativity, the better the game. It was a fun time for me. I had been looking forward to getting together with this group of friends. It had been a little while, and we always enjoy our times together.

I also overate over the weekend, which was not good. I also got into Lord of the Rings again, unwittingly. The lesson I got out of it this time (in my reading of the Appendices) is that there are things we can learn from people's lives, where they make mistakes or get off track. You can apply that in your life and see where your pride (for example) is getting you off track. You can make the correction and avoid their "fate." And that's what is cool about the books. You see the "fate" of characters that you are interested in. And then you remember: "Oh yeah, I'm in a story. I want to be a person of great character. If so, then I need to be aware of what might trip me up and deal with it." What I think is particularly good about Tolkien and Lewis is that I think they had a comprehensive look at what those things were. It was pure greed in this one character's case, in another it was complacency, in another desperation, here racism, etc., etc. And the situations are very diverse, because you are looking at a long and many-faceted history. In that way it helps you to see a wide scope of the challenges you might face.

Saturday was interesting to me. I had this plan of something that needed to be done in the afternoon. It was very clear. What I noticed was that, first, with a heaviness to get moving, and second, with something I had to do for another person, and then, third with all the obstacles cleared and having to get into the activity, there was a real discipline needed to get it done. I learned a lot from that. As it turned out, I got the thing done that I needed to; it was less time and enthusiasm than I expected to give to it, and I had to pull up short, somewhat. I learned that purpose is a good thing. It helped me through, even with obstacles. Humbling, too, because you see that there is weakness that besets you, even when your object is clear. Internal resistance and external factors - but most "damning" is the internal. I am glad I know Jesus. I like that He gives me the strength to get the things done. And I really need to press into these things more, because living is very difficult and strenuous. On to more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home