Battling for Each Other
I have been reading a friend's copy of Unfinished Tales, which is a compilation of Tolkien's writings that supplement his main stories The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. There were a few things that added enjoyment to the film version of The Return of the King, gave it a bit more splendor and meaning. One was the alliance between Gondor and Rohan. Where that all started was that the people of Rohan were previously much farther away. Gondor was the established kingdom and the main defense of Middle Earth. Gondor was embroiled in a war and sent out a few riders in last ditch desperation, not even sure that they would reach the people of this northern kingdom. The valiant king of Rohan came in a devastating cavalry charge from far away that ripped through the enemies and cleared them out. The king of Gondor, in reward, gave him lands closer to where they were, and the two kings made a sacred agreement to defend each other with all that they had. So the ride you see in the film is a culmination of all that previous history. Much about this part of the story is that way, tying back to established history in that mythology.
I thought that was pretty cool, as I have been thinking about the parallel in the spiritual realm - how we are called to fight for each other's hearts. We couldn't possibly stand up to the enemy on our own, we must have aid. And we have the incredible privilege of being able to give up ourselves in defense of our friend.
There's so much like that in ROTK, so many culminations and fitting climaxes. Perhaps the thing that stands out the most in that movie is the brave members of the fellowship getting to meet each other in the battles. That third movie is so personal, so much about faces and meetings. The fellowship always exchange this little look as they see their friends, saying so much about what they have experienced together. And of course it is a cause for laughter for Gandalf to see Frodo or for Aragorn to see Frodo after all they have been through, because how could they have made it through? It's absurd with what they have faced. I love that, it warms my heart. And those are great moments in my life, when I have gotten the pause in the battlefield and I see a fellow battler in heart and get to share that connection.
It was always in Tolkien's heart to see the races combine, to see the noble warriors (whether great or small, whether seemingly significant or seemingly insignificant) share that fellowship, and to know that it was worth it all.
I love my God for His heart to see the divisions come down. He knows what it takes to make them come down, and part of the incredible beauty of the Story He has us in is that we will get to see it all culminate when our eyes are opened and all the strands are tied together. And then I think we will laugh like Gandalf when he sees Frodo wake up in his bed at the end. It will mean so much, it will be too sweet.
May we have the heart to see beyond differences and to sacrifice ourselves in the worthy cause. Death to self interest!
I thought that was pretty cool, as I have been thinking about the parallel in the spiritual realm - how we are called to fight for each other's hearts. We couldn't possibly stand up to the enemy on our own, we must have aid. And we have the incredible privilege of being able to give up ourselves in defense of our friend.
There's so much like that in ROTK, so many culminations and fitting climaxes. Perhaps the thing that stands out the most in that movie is the brave members of the fellowship getting to meet each other in the battles. That third movie is so personal, so much about faces and meetings. The fellowship always exchange this little look as they see their friends, saying so much about what they have experienced together. And of course it is a cause for laughter for Gandalf to see Frodo or for Aragorn to see Frodo after all they have been through, because how could they have made it through? It's absurd with what they have faced. I love that, it warms my heart. And those are great moments in my life, when I have gotten the pause in the battlefield and I see a fellow battler in heart and get to share that connection.
It was always in Tolkien's heart to see the races combine, to see the noble warriors (whether great or small, whether seemingly significant or seemingly insignificant) share that fellowship, and to know that it was worth it all.
I love my God for His heart to see the divisions come down. He knows what it takes to make them come down, and part of the incredible beauty of the Story He has us in is that we will get to see it all culminate when our eyes are opened and all the strands are tied together. And then I think we will laugh like Gandalf when he sees Frodo wake up in his bed at the end. It will mean so much, it will be too sweet.
May we have the heart to see beyond differences and to sacrifice ourselves in the worthy cause. Death to self interest!
Labels: Bible / Christianity

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home