Thursday, October 07, 2004

Africa

With the election year and my reading of two companion books on the Republican and Democratic parties, I have been dabbling more in political thought. Other experiences have drawn out an interest in other cultures. I have become convinced that our silence about Africa in the west is one of our great sins, how we have been afraid to act in that region for peace and the benefit of those beyond ourselves.

I was glad to see a news article that talked about Prime Minister Tony Blair of the United Kingdom calling for action to be taken in Africa. My hopes are that we will continue to focus on this and that more thought would be given to Africa and its people.

One big issue really plays out into an ideological battle between entitlement and need. Let me elaborate. The west spends $1B a day supporting their farmers. African countries argue that these "subsidies" dismantle their ability to compete in the global market for these goods. Isn't it ironic that the land that prides itself on competition is using funds to keep others from being able to compete? Would not Christ's way be to share of our abundance with those who do not have? I only ask that question to stir some thought. But I do know that God will judge those who have lived in luxury while others have gone without. I cringe to think about the judgment that lies ahead. God has among His strongest words for luxury-loving offenders.

It is very interesting to see the same war happen at a personal level. I am continually confronted in myself with what I feel entitled to on one side and another person's needs on the other. I must say it is a difficult struggle to think of someone else's needs when the treatment you have received seems to give you the victim's right to avenge. Very difficult to let God be god. I am continually confronted with this reality: that God chose to deal with me not according to how He was treated (by me, or otherwise) but according to my need. And He says quite clearly that my response to others must be based on the same things. Wow! Among all other things, God is brilliant. I couldn't even see that without Him telling me. As Rich Mullins sung, "We didn't know what love was until He came . ."

Anyway, until the Kingdom comes, we will pray for the peace of Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home