Monday, August 21, 2006

Inside Man

Inside Man is a heck of a good movie. I saw it on DVD this weekend. There is a great speech by Clive Owen (who is quickly obtaining a reputation as the best tough-guy actor in Hollywood) at the beginning of the film, which is also replayed later in the film as the plot threads pull together. In this way, it is very like The Usual Suspects, where a very confident mastermind narrates over the film's events with a speech where every word has significant meaning.

The speech goes through a who/what/when/where/how sequence. I don't remember all of it, but here's a snippet (thanks to Russell Dalton, professor at UC-Irvine):

"My name is Dalton Russell. Pay strict attention to what I say because I choose my words carefully and I never repeat myself. I've told you my name -- that's the who... I've set in motion plans for the perfect bank robbery -- that's the what... that's also the when . . ."

Enjoy yourself. Check it out. And try to figure out why the cops kill about ten of the hostages coming out of the building. And no one makes a big deal about it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home