Flowers of the Field
Various thoughts from the past 24 hours:
Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, in Gods & Generals: (Subordinate) "How do you remain so serene (in battle)?" (Jackson, paraphrase) "My religious belief teaches me that God has ordained the day of every man's death. Therefore, I go forward bravely, whether to death or to life. If every man had this belief, every man would be purely brave." That spoke to me and fed a hunger to live in such faith, which I believe Jesus has given through His words - if we hold onto His words we possess that faith. That faith in our very life being in God's hands gives incredible confidence in the face of death and if taken hold of would really allow us to live.
"Here we have been standing for a long, long time. Treading trodden trails for a long, long time." (Dave Matthews, "So Much to Say")
"Do you see the flowers of the field? I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If this is how God clothes the flowers of the field, which are here today and tomorrow are cast into the furnace, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith?!" (Jesus)
"If any man remains in me, and my words remain in Him . . he will ask for anything in my name, and I will do it." (Jesus, gospel of John)
"According to your faith will it be done to you." (Jesus, Matthew 9)
Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, in Gods & Generals: (Subordinate) "How do you remain so serene (in battle)?" (Jackson, paraphrase) "My religious belief teaches me that God has ordained the day of every man's death. Therefore, I go forward bravely, whether to death or to life. If every man had this belief, every man would be purely brave." That spoke to me and fed a hunger to live in such faith, which I believe Jesus has given through His words - if we hold onto His words we possess that faith. That faith in our very life being in God's hands gives incredible confidence in the face of death and if taken hold of would really allow us to live.
"Here we have been standing for a long, long time. Treading trodden trails for a long, long time." (Dave Matthews, "So Much to Say")
"Do you see the flowers of the field? I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If this is how God clothes the flowers of the field, which are here today and tomorrow are cast into the furnace, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith?!" (Jesus)
"If any man remains in me, and my words remain in Him . . he will ask for anything in my name, and I will do it." (Jesus, gospel of John)
"According to your faith will it be done to you." (Jesus, Matthew 9)
Labels: Bible / Christianity

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home