Monday, November 13, 2006

Hitch

"'You' is a very fluid concept right now . . . You bought the shoes, you look great in the shoes . . . ." This is one of the many funny lines from the great movie Hitch, which I saw again this weekend. It so effectively delves into the world of relationships and being the real you. It's such a treat.

My girlfriend and I got into a debate about the secrecy aspect of the title character's job and whether or not it was necessary. I was bringing up the idea, "Why all the secrecy? This seems a bit overdone." It was stuff that everyone needs to know. I didn't quite understand that plot point. She effectively made the point that if he doesn't put up the wall of secrecy, then he gets the kind of person like Vance Munson (if you have seen the movie). If you cast your pearls before swine, then swine will get ahold of it and tear it to shreds to other's loss. There has to be the element of desperation that drives a person to him, rather than him throwing it out for all to procure. These principles in the hands of an evil man can be all the more deadly.

That's one of the real brilliant aspects of the movie is that shows the different camps people fall into, from the one who gets walked over a lot but still has a fundamental trust in men to the jerk Munson who is totally off the charts to Hitch, who is a love "pro" but is actually pretty scared in love, to Kevin James' character, who is just a loveable, incurable romantic.

To tell you the truth, I was not hardly watching the movie this time, I was pretty occupied with the person sitting next to me, so I didn't analyze it nearly as much (you may find another analysis of it previously, try after June 2005 - that's when I first saw it) but still found some good nuggets in it.

Particularly scintillating was the rebuttal of the "heroine" to the man who approaches her in the bar. Once again, my girlfriend JanaRae was right on the mark in saying, "I love how direct she is." The ways she handles the young man's advances are that she is very direct about her appreciation for the "courage it takes to come across a room and try to strike a conversation out of thin air . ." in a way that is both funny ("as if") but also to commend the real guts it does take to do something like that. She closes in the end with a "Thanks, Chip, I do appreciate it, but I am not interested", reaffirming her position but softening the blow to his feelings. At which point Chip decides to bypass that last objection and keep pursuing, to which Hitch then must come to the rescue with a devastatingly effective "Hi, hon, sorry I'm late" to completely close out Chip's short-lived romantic affair.

Will Smith is unbelievably effective in his role. It is no mystery why women swoon madly whenever he appears on the silver screen. He has a dashing quality to him that is easily understood and appreciated, a head shaking in amazement kind of quality.

Ok, clearly, in this post I'm not just telling you about the movie but about my girlfriend. She's a lot better woman than any of the ones in the movie. I'll take her every day of the week and twice on Sunday (that's from a line in A Few Good Men".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home